Do you want to pursue a career in science communication?
We have a great free opportunity for young people in Norfolk aged 16-21 to get involved with our Young Communications Team, run in partnership with Young Norfolk Arts Trust.
Norwich Science Festival 2018 will run during October half-term 19–27 October, with the learning programme 15–17 October. You can play an important role in ensuring that NSF 2018 is the best celebration of young people’s media creativity ever. There are many different science performances, talks, activities and exhibitions lined up and students will have the chance to train and work with many experts.
We are thrilled that the YCT will be working with Concrete – UEA’s award-winning official student newspaper; BBC Voices and BBC Radio Norfolk, and professional photographer Jeremy Webb. This is a fantastic opportunity for students to gain valuable experience for university personal statements and their CV.
The team will receive support and training to enable them to carry out their roles, working closely with The Forum staff and key mentors, to carry out activities connected with the management, delivery, recording and evaluation of NSF events, such as:
- Writing and delivering copy for Concrete online
- Creating and sourcing images for all media
- Contributing to and supporting NSF social media content
- Recording and documenting NSF activities, including making films and recordings for radio broadcasts
- Initiating ideas for NSF future activities
- Reviewing and evaluating NSF events and activities
Team Member specifications
All team members will:
- Have a keen interest in the science and media activities
- Want to contribute to Norwich Science Festival activities and gain valuable experience
- Be reliable and professional in their outlook and behaviour
- Be confident in all aspects of public-facing activity
- Be good ambassadors for Norwich Science Festival activities and those of its partners and supporters
- Have good communication skills and be confident with appropriate social media use
- Be flexible in approach and attitude especially during the Festival
All interested, aged 16–21, should download and complete the 2018 application form. On the form, you should explain why you want to be part of the team, how you fit the team member specifications, and if you have any particular experience or interests e.g. in film-making or journalism.
All applications should be sent to email@example.com by 5pm on Friday 21 September 2018. Following the closing date, applicants will be invited for a casual group event to take place early evening on Friday 28 September, 4pm–6pm, where they will receive further information on roles and schedules.